Registration is also open for the SMPTE 2018 Symposium, an all-day session that will precede the technical conference and exhibition on Oct. 22. This year's Symposium is titled "Driving the Entertainment Revolution: Autonomous Cars, Machine Intelligence, & Mixed Reality." Early-bird rates for both SMPTE events are available now through Aug. 4; hotel group rates are available through Sept. 28, or until sold out.
The SMPTE Annual Technical Conference & Exhibition is a forum for the exploration of media and entertainment technology. Registration for SMPTE 2018 will include the keynote presentation and access to the exhibition hall and all conference sessions. SMPTE 2018 will conclude with Thursday's SMPTE Annual Awards Gala, available at an additional charge.
Two SMPTE Fellows co-chair the SMPTE 2018 technical conference program committee: Thomas Edwards, vice president, engineering and development at Fox, and SMPTE Education Director Sara J. Kudrle, product marketing manager for playout at Imagine Communications. Technical conference sessions will address topics such as ultra-high definition (UHD); wide color gamut (WCG) and high-dynamic-range (HDR) management; workflow management; cloud and virtualized media processing; content management and storage, restoration, and preservation; over-the-top (OTT) media distribution; quality and monitoring of images and sound; new compression techniques and implementations; advances in display technologies; machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) technology; IP-based media transport and workflow; and fostering greater inclusivity in science, technology, engineering, and math.
Michael Zink, vice president of technology at Warner Bros., will chair the daylong SMPTE 2018 Symposium, which will not only focus on the state of emerging technologies related to the media and entertainment industry, but also explore potential applications and exciting content opportunities afforded by these new technologies.
Monday, Oct. 22
- The SMPTE 2018 Symposium will take place throughout the day.
- SMPTE and Hollywood Professional Association (HPA) Women in Post will present the annual Women in Technology Luncheon. Tickets are available for purchase separately or as an add-on to conference registration.
- Lunch will be provided for Symposium attendees who do not attend the Women in Technology Luncheon.
Tuesday, Oct. 23
- The first day of the SMPTE 2018 technical conference will feature three concurrent sessions, as well as the opening keynote.
- The exhibition hall will open at noon.
- The Fellows Luncheon, open exclusively to SMPTE Fellows and Life Fellows, will honor the industry leaders newly elevated to Fellow status. SMPTE Fellows who wish to attend must select tickets with their conference registration.
- Lunch will be provided to SMPTE 2018 registrants who are not attending the Fellows Luncheon. • The Oktoberfest Reception in the Centennial Exhibit Hall will be open to all attendees, and a separate ticket is not required.
Wednesday, Oct. 24
- The 4K Run 4Charity Fun Run — a smaller-scale version of the race traditionally held at the NAB and IBC shows — will be held in the morning, with the benefactor being Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media. Further details are forthcoming.
- Day two of the SMPTE 2018 technical conference sessions will include three concurrent sessions. • The exhibition hall will open at 10 a.m.
- Lunch will be provided to those registered for the technical conference.
- The SMPTE Annual General Membership Meeting will be held at a time to be announced later and will be open to all conference attendees. A separate ticket is not required.
- The Trick or Treat Spooktacular will take place in the evening. No additional ticket is required.
Thursday, Oct. 25
- The final day of SMPTE 2018 technical conference sessions will extend the entire day.
- The exhibition hall will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Lunch will be provided to those attending the technical conference.
Early-bird registration pricing is available now through Aug. 4. Attendees also can save by taking advantage of the SMPTE group room rate at the Westin Bonaventure, where a limited block of reduced-rate rooms will be available through Sept. 28, or while rooms remain available. In addition to registering, prospective exhibitors may still secure exhibit space now, and sponsorship opportunities are also available.